Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Judging a Book


Before you read a book, you judge it in a few ways. First by the author, what other works he has written and what kind of novel you are looking to read. Then you look at the cover and back to get an idea of what the book is about and what critics thought of it. The color or design of the cover is also very important in order for the book to catch your eye. Then you might read the intro if it has one to see if it appeals to you. A particular book that got my attention and kept it throughout was the book Killing Pablo. Pablo Escobar was a Columbian drug lord and the book went through his life, how he came into power, and how US Navy Seals took him out. Mark Bowden who also wrote Black Hawk Down authored the book.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying. It is impossible not to judge books, its what we do. I think I would like the book Killing Pablo. The cover is very bright and the preview looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your method of choosing books. It is very true that you think about other things the author wrote, look at the front cover and you also read the back for a short synopsis. By looking at the cover of this book it is probably something I would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the author is a very important aspect when one is previewing a book. Personally, I have had slight obsessions with authors. Most notably Dan Brown. Once I read The Da Vinci Code I went on to read every book he has written. I enjoy his style therefore I had a preconceived notion about his books and heavily favored his books to others.

    ReplyDelete