Thursday, April 23, 2009

What's going on?

From the journal of Marc Tyler: The year 1969











It was the forth of July and I was heading back to the helicopter that was going to transport us back to base in Vietnam after a routine perimeter sweep, when all of a sudden, my party got ambushed by a pack of guerrilla fighters. They came at us from our right flank with the bank of a riverbed to the left of us. There was no place to take cover from the body piercing rounds being hailed down upon us. We got into formation and began to fire back at our assailants. Right away, we were down to three men of our five man convoy due to the surprise attack from the guerrilla fighters. Johnny was to my left and our team leader Scott was in front of me shouting orders to fall back. So I started moving down into the riverbed. As I turned around to make sure Johnny and Scott were doing the same, johnny dropped to his knees and it was over. I turned and looked at Scott, once again he yelled to me fall back. I was given the order and was not going to disobey him. When I got down the bank I here an explosion from above where Scott had been crouched and knew that I was the only soul left. I knew that down here I would be a sitting duck just waiting to be picked off from above. So I began high tailed it out of there. Bullets began to rain down all around me. Then I turned the corner and saw the helicopter. I was able to make it inside under the cover fire given by the soldiers in it. We were able to take to the air and get out of the jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment